J A n005 plain card disc letter e L Copper Uppercase Letter L E

Sunday, March 16, 2008

K12 Online Conference 2007 Session Highlights


The first session I tried to be a part of was Anne Davis' session on "Putting the Pedagogy into the Tools." However, I could only get her intro to play. I would love to listen to this session though as her intro alone was very interesting! She talked about the importance of finding ways to facilitate learning- to grab the attention of your students- to encourage curiosity- to build anticipation- to have joy- to foster creativity- to nurture the learner- exploring the world around them- laughing while learning. Her list goes on but these were some of my favorite concepts that she listed. She mentioned a wikki page that had links to her podcasts, however, I was unable to find it easily. It is probably right in front of me, but it was taking forever and I finally decided to go with my second choice.


Therefore, I listened to Patrick Ledesma's session on "The Technology Specialist as Teacher Leader: Strategies to Ensure Successful Technology Integration and Student Learning in Schools." To listen to this audio session click here. As Mr. Ladesma states, teachers are still evaluated on test scores, not on how they integrate Web 2.0 and therefore, this session is very applicable to teachers who are seeking ways to integrate technology into their classrooms in effort to improve learning!


One piece of wisdom that Ladesma gives and I feel is very important to remember, is not to attempt to sell technology programs, rather attempt to sell the ways that learning can be improved through technology programs.


To use technology in ways that enhance learning, teachers who want to lead the way with technology should follow four steps he lays out as ways to help increase the interest in technology in other leaders at your school.

1. Manage hardware requirements.

2. Administration Collaborations (set goals!)

3. Teacher Professional Development

4. Teacher Collaboration


According to Ladesma, if you follow these four steps, then students will be able to have successful technology experiences that enhance their leaning!


Despite his enthusiasm for technology in the classroom, Ladesma does warn that some teachers and administration do not see any purpose in technology. This is why he claims that encouraging others to join you in stepping out and trying new technology is the most challenging part!


He gives a quote that I feel is so applicable in this situation, "seek first to understand, then to be understood." I think that is we, as future educators, make this our approach to technology we will be much more successful.



No comments: