J A n005 plain card disc letter e L Copper Uppercase Letter L E

Sunday, February 17, 2008

GLAD

One of my first days in the classroom, I was privileged to observe a representative of the GLAD program work with my kids. The woman taught about polar life, as this is the current unit my first graders are studying. There were so many active things that kept the students engaged.

Technology was not a huge part, instead the emphasis was placed on the importance of working as teams. Another aspect of this program is using "signal" words that have corresponding motions for the students to make when the teacher says the specific word. This works great to keep the students tuned in and learning! This was a very fun and active approach to learning. The kids sang songs that captured the information they were covering in clever and catchy tunes that you find yourself singing all day long!

I really enjoyed observing this curriculum and approach. I look forward to implementing some of these ideas to keep my students intrigued and learning!

No comments: